Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Different Kind of Christmas

We live away from home now and because of this, we sought ways to establish new traditions within our little family. This Christmas, feelings of homesickness crept in knowing we would not be able to participate in the family parties, eat a variety of goodies, or receive a visit from the big and jolly guy himself. Is it possible to feel lonely with a household bustling with young and constant chatter and demands? Yes. December 23 I called the Jerome nursing home and asked if our young family might sing songs to the residents there. I got a profound yes and set to work sewing costumes (I would have been better off starting the costumes at an early date, but my spirit wasn't ready yet). Christmas Eve, in costume, we visited the nursing home during their dinner time and were given the stage. Klark, or should I say Willy Clause, sang a story about how he, Willy, saved Christmas the year Santa caught a could. He was splendid. His ability to memorize is remarkable. Next, Klark and Lanse sang "I'm Getting Nottin' For Christmas" which was tremendous. This was one of the first times I have seen Lanse take a place in the spotlight. He had many solos and was loud and clear - something he seldom is amongst strangers. Genna Della took her turn singing "I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas" and it didn't matter how she sounded for she is young and bubbly and had jingle bells lining her dress making her want to dance. This night, there were as many comments about her bells as there were about her curls. The program was to end there but seemed to be lacking. Chad sang Silent Night. His clear, deep tones touched me deeply. I always knew that you couldn't spread positive feelings without feeling it yourself. That night I felt the Christmas spirit as it is meant to mean.

At Lanse's suggestion, we then visited a Azel and her husband and repeated the program. We visited for awhile. Azel is dear to my heart even though I have known her for such a short while. She and her husband were unable to be with any of their children this Christmas (so much snow) and her welcome was genuine. She couldn't not give the children a gift and we left with one of her favorite movies, Zippadee-do-da, a new Della favorite.

That night there was no talk of what each person wanted for Christmas, there was no mention of toys, treats, or wants. Our hearts were turned. Turned toward singing, the people we were able to meet, and the evenings events. We ate French Onion soup (it was gross) at 9:00 p.m., read the Christmas story, and were off to bed. We still missed our families, yet, we were grateful for a different kind of Christmas.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

That is so sweet.

BALL said...

I love your new posts, thanks for sharing.