Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Husband, the Food Scientist


I am often asked what it is like to be married to a food scientist. Does he cook? Is he incredibly health conscious? Will he only eat certain foods, foods without preservatives and hormones? Did his education make him into a great chef? Does he invent food? I would like to take this opportunity to tell you what it is like to be married to a food scientist.


Being married to a food scientist has changed my perspective, made me a better person, and blessed my life. Because of my scientist, I am healthier, happier, and fulfilled. I will be more specific. My food scientist loves fresh fruit and vegetables, is always honest, and lets me warm my cold feet on his warm stomach. He sings the baby to sleep, irons his own shirts, and hangs pictures with precision enough to please his meticulous wife. He agrees with whichever baseboard I pick out and doesn’t even mind that it takes me so long and that I may change my mind. He works everyday to provide for his family. My food scientist plays with his children – wrestling without a shirt with the boys, dancing with the girls, bike riding, and bug hunting. He dances with me in the kitchen. He sits next to the baby at the dinner table, feeding her and giving her countless sips of water. He gets up with the baby in the night, teaches me Spanish, builds the trim in the house to match a picture from a Pottery Barn magazine, empties the garbage cans, does dinner dishes, takes a child with him where ever he goes whenever possible, and has a great set of meat thermometers.


My food scientist has always had a keen perspective, an eternal perspective, which prioritizes his time directing his energies toward his family. He doesn’t hold grudges, doesn’t get offended, never aims to offend, is kind, humble, does everything he does for the benefit of another, and assisted in the development of carbonated yogurt. He is a man of integrity, a hard worker, simple in his worldly wants, runs, and encourages me to run. He is one with nature, giving all credit to God. He doesn’t say anything when I want the more expensive broom because I like the color better, makes his own lunch if I sleep in, shares his sweatshirt, watches chick flicks, sings around the house, and avoids processed meat loaded with nitrates. He expects a kiss everyday when he gets home from work, built me flowerboxes to fit my large windows, enjoys mowing the lawn, prays, and prepares steak when I am anemic.


So, how is it being married to a food scientist? He is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow. A food scientist sounds like a pretty good thing! :)

BALL said...

That is so sweet, I love it.

Gary and Lindsay said...

Chad - Lindsay sent me a link to this at work and said I need to read it. Holy Smokes! What are you doing to the rest of us? What kind of ideals are you setting that our wives will now expect? Do you think there is any chance a wildlife biologist might someday be a food scientist? In all honesty - keep up the good work, it is good for us all to have people set high standards for us to strive for. Someday we will have to come visit you guys and see your awesome house and possibly do some harvest sampling at some of the local fisheries.

Trent and Carlie & Co. said...

You really do have a great husband! Trent is definitely Chad's brother. There are so many qualities that you mentioned that Trent has, too. I really look up to you, also, and hope to be an awesome mother as well!

It was great seeing you guys this weekend. I'm sure Grandpa was so happy to see us all together remembering him. I hope Leah is feeling better. Berkley got sick Saturday night and it is not fun having a sick baby. My heart just breaks that she is under the weather. Trent is sick, too & I think Attley is next. I hope I get skipped so I can take care of everyone! Hope you had a good drive home.

Love, Carlie